One of the most common questions that I get asked from clients has to do with exercise – the amount, what to do, when to do it, and how to make it fun. This is an important aspect on your journey to Optimal Health™ which is why I plan on sharing some ideas and strategies with you this week. But before we go down that path, please remember to show up and engage during our Habits of Health webinar.
The Habits of Health Webinar is on Wednesday night at 5:30pm PST (6:30pm M, 7:30pm C, 8:30pm E)
(The clients who hop on these find WAY MORE SUCCESS! If you missed last week’s webinar, the playback is now available: bit.ly/hohplaybacks)
Making Exercise Successful:
I am a big advocate of being practical with your exercise routine, especially when you first get started. Too many people burn out quickly because they try to run a marathon with zero preparation. Jumping into the world of exercise without a plan is a guaranteed way to injure yourself, get too sore leading to days of recovery, or becoming demotivated because your routine is not fun.
Here are a few ideas to consider once you incorporate exercise into your plan…
- Before you begin, cut yourself some slack and realize that any movement is better than no movement. Don’t pass judgement of yourself, and realize that daily steps in the right direction will guarantee you hit your goal.
- Realize that exercise is a skill and like any skill, it requires time. Don’t expect that you are going to be able to run on a treadmill for 30 minutes on day one. Crawling before you walk is very important because if you push yourself too hard, you will increase the likelihood of injury and your body will be so sore that recuperating could take days.
- Make a list of everything physical that you ENJOY doing whether it is dancing, cleaning the car, gardening, walking etc. Choose three things from your list and incorporate them into your weekly schedule for 30 minutes each.
- Focus all of your attention on what you CAN do right now versus what you want yourself to eventually be able to do. Maybe your goal is to run a 10k race, but right now you can only run 1 mile. This is EXCELLENT because momentum builds on momentum so simply keep on keepin’ on because you will eventually hit your goal.
- Find a partner! Doing something with someone else is always more fun than pursuing an activity on your own. The key is to connect with someone who is like minded and nonjudgmental. You are both there for one another as a motivated and accountability partner.
If you consider these 5 ideas, your path to success with exercise will be filled with fun and positive outcomes.
Need to ask a Doc?
The Client Support Call is every Wednesday at 5pm Pac (6pm Mtn, 7pm Cst, 8pm Est) where you can dial into a call, hear a great health tip and get your questions answered directly by a OPTAVIA™ health care professional.
(Call in number is 712-832-8330. Pin to participate is 4366777.)
Let me know if you need anything!
Cathy & Jeff Evans
(916) 616-8101 Cathy
(916) 261-8101 Jeff