4th of July
Holiday celebrations can feel a bit overwhelming when you’re working on living a healthy lifestyle. If you’re thinking that there won’t be any healthy options at the get together you’re attending, or that it’s only one day and you’ll get back on track the next day, I encourage you to change your mindset and make healthy lifestyle choices as you would any day of the week! Make this weekend a fun, happy, and healthy one celebrating the Independence Day of our country and being with family and friends.
Is there a 4th of July festivity, such as a 5K run / walk race, taking place in your area? If so, you can kick-off your holiday weekend with exercise and fun with like-minded people. How about a parade? Take your friends and family outside to enjoy the floats, music and fun.
Are you attending a barbecue or picnic? If the gathering is being hosted by someone you know well, don’t be afraid to ask what’s on the menu. You can offer to contribute a dish (of course, it will be a healthy and tasty one!) or to help them prepare the meal. Cool dishes such as salads will be a welcomed side. You can feel empowered to make healthy choices if you are prepared and there are good options!
Are you hosting a barbecue or picnic for the 4th? This is an excellent opportunity to plan a menu that is full of tasty, healthful dishes that will have people begging you for the recipes. It’s also fun to plan physical activities such as volleyball, frisbee, badminton, croquet or swimming during your gathering. You can share the gift of health with others this weekend!
4th of July Recipes!!!
Marinated Flank Steak
* 2 1/3 pounds flank steak
* 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
* 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
* 1/2 cup beef broth
* 2 Tablespoons Splenda
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
* 3 scallions, thinly sliced
* Equipment: gallon size sealable plastic bag
Place the plastic bag in a large bowl and then add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and oil to the bag. Whisk in the splenda, garlic, ginger and scallions. Add the steak to the bag, flipping it to coat it in the marinade, and then seal the plastic bag. Place the steak in the fridge and marinate it overnight, or for a minimum of 10 hours. When ready to cook, remove the steak from the fridge and preheat your cooking surface (grill or stovetop grill pan). Remove the steak from the marinade, discard the leftover liquid, and sear the steak on each side until it’s cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes and then slice it against the grain and serve.
Makes 5 servings
1 Lean protein
Quick Cabbage Slaw
• 1 ¼ pound white cabbage, cored and shredded
• 5 1/4 ounces red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
• 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
• 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 5 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 tsp kosher salt
• fresh black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, toss to combine and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 5 servings
1 ¼ condiments
* Cooking spray
* 4 oz 95-97% lean ground beef
* 6 whole jalapeño peppers
* 4 oz (½ cup) low-fat plain Greek yogurt
* 4 oz (1 cup) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
* 3 medium scallions, sliced thin
* 1 large red bell pepper, diced fine
* ¼ tsp garlic powder
* ¼ tsp cumin
* ¼ tsp chili powder
* 1/8 tsp paprika
* To make vegetarian, substitute beef with 1 cup cooked MorningStar Farms® Sausage-Style Recipe Crumbles.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Cook ground beef in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat until done (internal temperature of 160°F). Set aside.
3. Cut jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membrane.
4. Combine beef, yogurt, cheese, scallions, red pepper, and spices in a medium bowl.
5. With a spoon, fill jalapeño pepper halves with cheese mixture.
6. Place the peppers, cut-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings. Per serving: 1 Leaner | 3 Green | 1½ Condiments
Living a Healthy Life
Wishing you a Happy, Healthy, and Safe 4th of July!
Health and Happiness,
Cathy and Jeff
Click HERE for more healthy tips from my mentor, Dr. Wayne Andersen!!
Join us for our Habits of Health call or webinar hosted by Certified Health Coaches who have “walked the walk” as a client and cover a variety of topics such a emotional eating, how to navigate the holidays, how to stay on track and more. If you cannot tune in “live” on Wednesday evenings, you can click HERE to watch recordings of Habits of Health Calls.
Habits of Health Call
Wednesday at 5:30pm PT/ 8:30pm ET
Available via Zoom free video conferencing!
Click this link to join: https://zoom.us/j/113312513
Or join by phone: 646 558 8656 Meeting ID: 113312513
For Clients – Client Support Call
Call in and ask one of our Health Professionals (physicians, nurses, dietitians and more) questions about your health.
Every Wednesday Evening at 5:00pm PT/ 8:00pm ET
Call: (712) 832-8330