We often hear about the need to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but has anyone ever explained why to you? Water is a critical component of your body. It helps remove toxins and other unhealthy substances that are stored in fat cells. Your body isn’t able to store water, so it is crucial to stay well-hydrated in order to help your organs and body systems function properly. When we aren’t properly hydrated, our bodies become less efficient. In addition, we might feel tired or irritable, we are less likely to exercise, and more likely to overeat.
If you struggle to get enough water in each day, you are no alone. But I know you can do it! Staying hydrated is a habit of health that gets easier over time. I encourage you to set goals for drinking water. Having a glass of water first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day. You can set alarms on your phone for an easy reminder to drink another glass of water each hour throughout the day. If you’re not a big fan of water in general, you can try infusing your water with fruit or mint to add a little flavor.
Here are some of the great benefits of drinking enough water:
* It’s calorie free, but helps you feel full and satisfied.
* It keeps you from overeating. Studies have shown that when we feel hungry, 30 percent of the time our bodies are actually signaling for water.
* It facilitates the removal of toxins such as pesticides and preservatives from your cells.
* It prevents dehydration as your body eliminates excess salt and water from a diet high in processed food.
* It minimizes or eliminates fatigue, lack of energy, headaches, and unclear thinking.
* It speeds up metabolism. A recent study showed that drinking two 8-ounce glasses of cold water increased metabolic rate by 30 percent for 90 minutes.
* It helps your liver convert fat to energy.
* It compensates for the loss of glycogen stores as you lose weight.
Grilled Marinated Chicken
· 1.5 cups plain Greek yogurt
· 2 Tbsp olive oil
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· ½ Tbsp. dried oregano
· 2 Tbsp lemon juice
· ½ tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
· 1/4 cup fresh parsley
· 4 lbs chicken pieces
1. To make the marinade: combine the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper in a bowl. Use a fine holed cheese grater or a zester to scrape the thin layer of yellow zest from the lemon skin into the bowl. Also add the juice from half of the lemon (about 1-2 Tbsp). Stir until the ingredients are well combined. Roughly chop a big handful, or about ¼ bunch, of parsley and stir it into the marinade.
2. Add the chicken pieces and marinade to a gallon sized zip top bag. Remove as much air as possible, close the bag tightly, and massage the bag to mix the contents and make sure the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate the bag for 30 minutes.
3. After marinating for 30 minutes, cook the chicken either on a grill OR preheat the oven to 375 degrees in preparation to bake the chicken.
4. To bake the chicken, place the chicken pieces in a large casserole dish (9×13). Bake the chicken in the oven at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Makes 12 servings. Each serving provides:
½ healthy fat serving
1 ½ condiment
A Healthy Journey
Jessica is so excited about the way her body and life have changed since she adopted healthy habits! Here is what she has to say about her journey:
“The sugar bags represent the amount of weight that is gone FOREVER. I know I wasn’t carrying it all in my arms, but dang it was a lot!!! It was an eye opener for me to feel the amount of weight in my hands that was holding me back from so much, and that my confidence was hiding behind. I am so so thankful that I made the decision to make my health a priority. I never thought I would be the person that cared about not only having a healthy lifestyle but MAINTAINING it. Living and walking this out has been the most liberating feeling! The transformation is more than weight loss, it’s now about paying it forward to help others on their own health journey. It’s JUST the beginning!”
My passion is walking alongside others and supporting them on their journey to becoming the best version of themselves. Reach out to me if I can support you in any way!
Health and Happiness,
Cathy and Jeff
Click HERE for more healthy tips from my mentor, Dr. Wayne Andersen!!
Join us for our Habits of Health call or webinar hosted by Certified Health Coaches who have “walked the walk” as a client and cover a variety of topics such a emotional eating, how to navigate the holidays, how to stay on track and more. If you cannot tune in “live” on Wednesday evenings, you can click HERE to watch recordings of Habits of Health Calls.
Habits of Health Call
Wednesday at 5:30pm PT/ 8:30pm ET
Available via Zoom free video conferencing!
Click this link to join: https://zoom.us/j/113312513
Or join by phone: 646 558 8656 Meeting ID: 113312513
For Clients – Client Support Call
Call in and ask one of our Health Professionals (physicians, nurses, dietitians and more) questions about your health.
Every Wednesday Evening at 5:00pm PT/ 8:00pm ET
Call: (712) 832-8330