We discovered this recipe recently and fell in love with it. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, the fiber and antioxidants in sweet potatoes are advantageous to gut health.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium brown onions (1 chopped; 1 minced and reserved for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Indian spice mix (I substituted 1 tsp curry powder)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 4 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
Cinnamon cream garnish (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm half the coconut oil and sauté one of the onions and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the Garam Masala, turmeric, cumin, and coriander stirring constantly for 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken broth, water and sweet potatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. After simmering, add the coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate small pan over medium head, warm the remaining coconut oil and sauté the remaining onion for 7 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside for later.
- Purée the soup in a food processor or blender, working in small batches if needed and blending until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the whipping cream with the cinnamon for 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with cinnamon cream and minced onion (optional).
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sweet potato, soup